Author Topic: 17 Tooth Front Sprocket  (Read 4467 times)

• Offline gotagreyone   au

• 660 Member  ‐    40

Offline gotagreyone

• 660 Member
    Re: 17 Tooth Front Sprocket
    Reply #40 on: Jun 17, 2022, 04.20 am
    Jun 17, 2022, 04.20 am
    Can’t help with your specific question but it’s important to not just get one of the correct pitch etc but also thickness. The sprocket on the 660 is single thickness with no stepped section around the splines.

• Offline Shandy   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    306

Offline Shandy

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660 2022
    • City / Town: Bexley, Kent
    Reply #41 on: Jun 17, 2022, 05.08 am
    Jun 17, 2022, 05.08 am
     :763:

That does help.

The trouble is, being so mechanically inept, I need someone to explain all this stuff to me so thanks1 I just don't understand what all the numbers mean LOL

I think I've found a generic one anyway, not JT sprocket, but it' from a trusted seller here in UK and shop I have bought Chains and sprockets from before.

If I remember correctly, I've ordered generic from them before and it's been a JT one that turned up anyway, so might give this a go: https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/565-17-front-sprocket-056517

It also turns out that the official JT importer and supplier for the UK is based only 10 mins away from my house. So I've contacted them and awaiting a reply, see if they have one in stock and I can collect directly from them.

I'll update with what happens!

• Online markjanemhan   ca

• 660 Pro  ‐    97
    • Topic Author

Online markjanemhan

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Vancouver, BC
    Reply #42 on: Jun 18, 2022, 06.45 pm
    Jun 18, 2022, 06.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
    Hi Mark, how did you discover what part you needed exactly?
    Hey Adam - I went with info from a Facebook post of a Trident 660 owner who had just installed the 17T JT sprocket.  I also saw a post on another forum.  Hope you manage to get hold of one ok, I know they're in really short supply.  I got mine from Amazon in Canada, and since then they've been unavailable here.

• Offline gotagreyone   au

• 660 Member  ‐    40

Offline gotagreyone

• 660 Member
    Reply #43 on: Jun 18, 2022, 10.18 pm
    Jun 18, 2022, 10.18 pm
    The one I used had this on the packet, if that’s any help.

31-214-17
    SUPER SPRKT JTF436/281 17 17T #520

• Offline Shandy   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    306

Offline Shandy

• 660 Pro
    Reply #44 on: Jun 20, 2022, 04.10 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 04.10 pm
    Thamks everyone.

I've ordered the one from M&P. Generic branding but I'm confident in the service from them so should be ok.

The OEM chain already has 4k miles on her so this will be a trial run anyway, probably end up changing chain and sprockets around 10k, same as 1st service. That's when i'll decide if I go back to stock or invest in an upgraded 17tooth front sprocket, might even loose one in the rear too. with decent brand and chain .... I do like a nice gold chain  :062:

Talking of chan=ins, anyone got any experience using a Scottoiler? I'm considering getting one on the TS660 so I don't have to fret about lubing  chain all the time  :027: Never used one before

• Offline BillyHey   scotland

• 660 Pro  ‐    146

Offline BillyHey

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Linlithgow
    Reply #45 on: Jun 20, 2022, 05.32 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 05.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
    Talking of chan=ins, anyone got any experience using a Scottoiler? I'm considering getting one on the TS660 so I don't have to fret about lubing  chain all the time  :027: Never used one before

My brother in law has had one on every bike he's owned and swears by them.  I've got one sitting in the box but not fitted it yet.  I changed from whatever crap triumph used on the chain, which started rusting the day after it was delivered and before I'd even ridden the bike, to XCP chain lube and it's been rust free since.

So I'm not sure whether to just return the scottoiler. I went for the Xsystem and it won't fit under the seat, and can't find anywhere else suitable apart from on the back of the pannier support arm to put it.  bikergadgie on YouTube managed to get the ESystem under the seat but it's got a large controller that needs to go on the handlebars.

Couple of things I'm not sure about is how well it lubes the side plates (and stops rust) and unless you go for the fragile looking scorpion twin dispenser it only lubes one side.  That and how long does it last between rides.

But I've never heard of anyone who has one and doesn't love it so I guess it must do a good job
    Last Edit: Jun 20, 2022, 05.37 pm by BillyHey

• Offline mustangpilot   nl

• 660 Pro  ‐    70

Offline mustangpilot

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Den Haag
    Reply #46 on: Jun 20, 2022, 08.12 pm
    Jun 20, 2022, 08.12 pm
    Used OSCO oiler on 6 different bikes and installed it on my TS660 today
    Other bike 2020 Tiger Sport 1050

• Offline Shandy   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    306

Offline Shandy

• 660 Pro
    Reply #47 on: Jun 21, 2022, 07.42 am
    Jun 21, 2022, 07.42 am
    *Originally Posted by BillyHey [+]
    My brother in law has had one on every bike he's owned and swears by them.  I've got one sitting in the box but not fitted it yet.  I changed from whatever crap triumph used on the chain, which started rusting the day after it was delivered and before I'd even ridden the bike, to XCP chain lube and it's been rust free since.

So I'm not sure whether to just return the scottoiler. I went for the Xsystem and it won't fit under the seat, and can't find anywhere else suitable apart from on the back of the pannier support arm to put it.  bikergadgie on YouTube managed to get the ESystem under the seat but it's got a large controller that needs to go on the handlebars.

Couple of things I'm not sure about is how well it lubes the side plates (and stops rust) and unless you go for the fragile looking scorpion twin dispenser it only lubes one side.  That and how long does it last between rides.

But I've never heard of anyone who has one and doesn't love it so I guess it must do a good job

:762: :763:

I considered the E-system, but I don't want yet another bloody digital display in front of me... start looking like a Charlie McEwan GS wannabe  :008:

However, I would like something that's more than just gravity fed and fingers crossed it works.

I feel similar as you, loads of chain lube lying around so use that up first and see how I feel then but  want to start using old engine oil instead of lube anyway, as chain manufacturer's recommend.

I also know that anyone that has one swears by them so don't know.

Might have a look at these Osco oilers instead.

• Offline Thenozzle   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    17

Offline Thenozzle

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Waltham Cross
    Reply #48 on: Jun 21, 2022, 08.04 am
    Jun 21, 2022, 08.04 am
    Shandy have a look at the Nemo2 system  very easy to set up and use. https://www.cobrra.co.uk
    Cobrra Nemo 2 chain oiler
    Last Edit: Jun 21, 2022, 08.07 am by Thenozzle

• Offline gsimmons   ca

• 660 Pro  ‐    92

Offline gsimmons

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Kitchener, ON, CA
    Reply #49 on: Jun 21, 2022, 01.21 pm
    Jun 21, 2022, 01.21 pm
    For anyone who is interested, the nut on the drive shaft that holds the front cog is a 36mm  (which apparently is the common size Triumph uses).

This is the 16t right before it comes off.
    Last Edit: Jun 21, 2022, 01.25 pm by gsimmons