Author Lowering link  (Read 20207 times)

• Offline DigitalJer   ca

• 660 Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline DigitalJer

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Edmonton
    Lowering link
    on: Mar 10, 2023, 04.25 am
    Mar 10, 2023, 04.25 am
    Just ordered:

https://www.forsakenmotorsports.com/collections/triumph/products/triumph-trident-660-lowering-kit-21

All communication with the seller has been clear.

Installation report to follow!

• Offline 30102023   00

• Ex Member
    • 660 Pro  ‐    281

Offline 30102023

• Ex Member
    • 660 Pro
    Re: Lowering link
    Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2023, 10.53 am
    Mar 10, 2023, 10.53 am
    Installed the Free Spirits 20mm lowering kit last year https://www.britishlegends.fr/en/lowering-kit-trident.html

• 660 Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline DigitalJer

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2023, 02.52 pm
    Mar 10, 2023, 02.52 pm
    Yeah, those look nice.  We looked at them long and hard, but couldn't find a distributor in our area.  Kept on searching, and lo and behold, someone fabricates them right here in Canada.  No duty, fast shipping, and roughly the same price (after conversion).  Otherwise we would have got a FreeSpirits unit, too.

How was installation for you?
    Last Edit: Mar 10, 2023, 02.53 pm by DigitalJer

• Offline 30102023   00

• Ex Member
    • 660 Pro  ‐    281

Offline 30102023

• Ex Member
    • 660 Pro
    Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2023, 03.48 pm
    Mar 10, 2023, 03.48 pm
    *Originally Posted by DigitalJer [+]
    How was installation for you?
    You can download the installation instructions from https://www.freespiritsparts.com/it/product/kit-abbassamento-sospensione-posteriore-20-mm-per-triumph-trident-e-tiger-sport-660/
    Removing the rear wheel and using the right tools wil help. I lowered the front forks only 10mm.
    Rode some 3500km with this setting  :028:
    Last Edit: Mar 10, 2023, 03.56 pm by mustangpilot

• 660 Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline DigitalJer

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2023, 12.25 am
    Mar 11, 2023, 12.25 am
    Yeah, I anticipated using their instructions (no clue if ForsakenMotorsports includes them - forgot to ask) - seems straightforward enough, though.

Thanks for the tips!  Glad to hear it's working out well for you.  No problems with bottoming out on anything?

• Offline ZenMotorider   jp

• 660 Pro  ‐    69

Offline ZenMotorider

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Red Tigress
    • City / Town: Osaka
    Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2023, 04.14 am
    Mar 13, 2023, 04.14 am
    There are several options for lowering the bike.

mustangpilot told us of his experience with 20mm FreeSpirits lowering link in the older thread here:
    https://www.tiger660.com/index.php?topic=380.0

His comments were a good reference point and I followed the same route, with lowering the front end by 15 mm.

Other options are FreeSpirits copycat links on AliExpress, cheaper, but I am not quite sure they come with a needle bearing. If anyone has tried, let us know.

A third option is a 30 mm lowering link found on ebay and other sites. (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/225061108243).

Finally, there is the German MIZU, which lowers the bike 25-30mm https://www.mizu-shop.de/en/motorbike-parts/chassis-technology/lowering-kits/MIZU-lowering-kit-3022016.html,
    but it requires the disassembly of the shock and mounting it at the end, which my Triumph dealer, despite being quite accommodating with my other requests, refused to do.

One of the problems of lowering the bike is that in order to lift the side stand, the bike has to stand almost vertical, otherwise the stand hits the ground, when trying to fold it.
    When I am pushing the bike around, I stand on the left side, and I have to be very careful not to tip-over the bike, when folding the stand.

Does anyone have recommendation for a shorter side stand? My search did not turn up anything labelled for use on the Tiger or the Trident 660.

• 660 Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline DigitalJer

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2023, 04.44 am
    Mar 13, 2023, 04.44 am
    Thanks for the comprehensive list, now we can add Forsaken as a potential source, too.

Good point with the side stand.  I'll look into modifying the stand to shorten it a bit.
    Last Edit: Mar 13, 2023, 04.45 am by DigitalJer

• 660 Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline DigitalJer

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2023, 02.30 pm
    Mar 14, 2023, 02.30 pm
    Lowering link arrived yesterday; two days via Puro as promised.

Photos, thoughts, and installation to come.

• Offline John660   us

• 660 Newbie  ‐    11

Offline John660

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: Tiger 660 sport
    • City / Town: Massachusetts
    Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2023, 08.16 pm
    Dec 07, 2023, 08.16 pm
    *Originally Posted by ZenMotorider [+]
    There are several options for lowering the bike.

mustangpilot told us of his experience with 20mm FreeSpirits lowering link in the older thread here:
    https://www.tiger660.com/index.php?topic=380.0

His comments were a good reference point and I followed the same route, with lowering the front end by 15 mm.

Other options are FreeSpirits copycat links on AliExpress, cheaper, but I am not quite sure they come with a needle bearing. If anyone has tried, let us know.

A third option is a 30 mm lowering link found on ebay and other sites. (e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/225061108243).

Finally, there is the German MIZU, which lowers the bike 25-30mm https://www.mizu-shop.de/en/motorbike-parts/chassis-technology/lowering-kits/MIZU-lowering-kit-3022016.html,
    but it requires the disassembly of the shock and mounting it at the end, which my Triumph dealer, despite being quite accommodating with my other requests, refused to do.

One of the problems of lowering the bike is that in order to lift the side stand, the bike has to stand almost vertical, otherwise the stand hits the ground, when trying to fold it.
    When I am pushing the bike around, I stand on the left side, and I have to be very careful not to tip-over the bike, when folding the stand.

Does anyone have recommendation for a shorter side stand? My search did not turn up anything labelled for use on the Tiger or the Trident 660.

Thanks for the list,

I found a company out of the Netherlands called hyperpro that sells a progressive rear shock spring that lowers the rear shock 25mm?

The way to lower automobiles is through springs, why don’t we see that options on bikes?

• Offline mrlm   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    354

Offline mrlm

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Leeds
    Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2023, 12.13 pm
    Dec 11, 2023, 12.13 pm
    It is the length of the shock which determines the height, if you just change the spring to be softer (or shorter) so it sits part way through this travel it could make a mess of the suspension. Lots of people do things with cars which are incorrect and often unsafe, a bike is no place for this because the consequences of it going wrong are much greater.

A lowering link, providing it does not cause the wheel to hit the bike at the limit of travel, can maintain most of the existing suspension behaviour. If a corresponding change were made to the forks by lowering the clamps on the slider tubes the bike will maintain the same frame angles as well so handling will hopefully not change much.

The bike already has a linkage and progressive rear spring (dual rate is still just a progressive spring). People feel that this makes the rear suspension not as good as it should be so taking it even further with a spring that makes it sit lower as well might make that issue worse.
    Last Edit: Dec 11, 2023, 12.17 pm by mrlm

listing