• Topic Author

Offline TXHillCounty

• 660 Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Triumph Sport 660
    Fog Lights
    on: Sep 12, 2022, 08.06 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 08.06 pm
    Any feedback on OEM Fog Lights would be appreciated. Looking to increase my daytime visibility. Can I install them myself? Any other lighting recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks!

• Offline DeepBlue   us

• 660 Member  ‐    22

Offline DeepBlue

• 660 Member
    Re: Fog Lights
    Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2022, 09.34 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 09.34 pm
    If the video below is anything to judge by, I'm going to skip the OEM lights and go with a Denali D3 setup or equivalent.  The daytime visibility trials start around the 27:55 mark. 

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2022, 12.31 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 12.31 pm
    I suspect than any extra lights will get you most of the extra noticeability by other road users that is possible.  I very much doubt that doubling or tripling the light output will double pr triple awareness, and risks dazzling and annoying others.
    Last Edit: Sep 15, 2022, 12.33 pm by fred_jb

• Offline DeepBlue   us

• 660 Member  ‐    22

Offline DeepBlue

• 660 Member
    Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2022, 01.30 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 01.30 pm
    My interest in this as a new rider was occasioned by the numerous accidents and near-misses in YT videos on one hand and on the other by an encounter with a BMW 12xx ADV bike sporting two D4 equivalents using yellow lenses.  His conspicuity was excellent without being dazzling at all; I was quite favorably impressed.  Most, perhaps all, of the lights in the video are dimmable so one can customize output as desired. 

As seen in the video the single LED lights are barely noticeable in daylight and the doubles are marginal (aside from one which is a spotlight only version and so of limited utility for conspicuity purposes).  For my money the D3s provide the best mix of visibility, utility, and aesthetics in relation to the size of the 660.  I'm looking forward to the eventual release of a controller for the 660 which would allow use of the D3s as turn indicators.

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2022, 02.12 pm
    Sep 15, 2022, 02.12 pm
    Well I'm sure the Denali lights are as bright as you could possibly need and when I had a 1250 GS I noticed others so equipped and you could see them coming from about a kilometre away!  I would maintain that the most important thing is to be noticed when within physical contact range, so 50 metres or so, but then you can never rely on others seeing you anyway. There are people who wouldn't notice you even if you had an anti-aircraft searchlight on the front of your bike! 😄

• Offline J-G   us

• 660 Member  ‐    29

Offline J-G

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Massachusetts
    Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2022, 02.58 pm
    Sep 16, 2022, 02.58 pm
    I have Denali lights on my GS.  They provide more light than I'll ever need for street riding.
    I'm hoping the Triumph lights are good enough for the TS660.  What I'm really seeking is better lighting for seeing in bends.  It seems the headlight dips to 10 feet in front of me while taking bends on freeway ramps.  I end up paranoid I'll find a puddle of diesel the hard way.
    Does anyone know if the Triumph lights improve lighting distance when the bike is leaned?

• Offline DeepBlue   us

• 660 Member  ‐    22

Offline DeepBlue

• 660 Member
    Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2022, 04.02 pm
    Sep 16, 2022, 04.02 pm
    Does "street riding" include highway speeds or just urban?  Which size Denalis do you have?

• Offline J-G   us

• 660 Member  ‐    29

Offline J-G

• 660 Member
    Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2022, 01.32 pm
    Sep 17, 2022, 01.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by DeepBlue [+]
    Does "street riding" include highway speeds or just urban?  Which size Denalis do you have?

I have the D4 lights on my GS.  Fully programmable intensity including different intensity for high or low beam.  They are very bright.   With high beam setting night practically becomes day.  With the low beam setting,  light provided is wider and further than the stock headlight.  I can't imagine anything better other than adaptive lighting.

If they come out with a programmable controller for the TS660 quickly enough I'll consider it instead of the Triumph lights.   Not sure how long I'll hold out though.

• Offline J-G   us

• 660 Member  ‐    29

Offline J-G

• 660 Member
    Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2022, 04.29 pm
    Sep 17, 2022, 04.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by J-G [+]
    I have the D4 lights on my GS.  Fully programmable intensity including different intensity for high or low beam.  They are very bright.   With high beam setting night practically becomes day.  With the low beam setting,  light provided is wider and further than the stock headlight.  I can't imagine anything better other than adaptive lighting.

If they come out with a programmable controller for the TS660 quickly enough I'll consider it instead of the Triumph lights.   Not sure how long I'll hold out though.

Correction:  I have the Denali S4 2.0 on my GS.

listing