Author left foot down, right foot or both?  (Read 122 times)

• Offline BillyHey   scotland

• 660 Pro  ‐    167
    • Topic Author

Offline BillyHey

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Linlithgow
    left foot down, right foot or both?
    on: Aug 31, 2022, 12.45 pm
    Aug 31, 2022, 12.45 pm
    Noticed a lot of (maybe older, more experienced riders) recently stopping with right foot down, left still up.

Got me wondering, as I was taught left foot down, right on the rear brake, unless I was going to be stopped longer, but always one brake on at all times.

How does everyone else sit at lights?  Does anyone always do the cop "Hendon Shuffle" when stopping?

• Offline MattR   england

• Forum Help and Support
    • 660 Member  ‐    41

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
    • 660 Member
    Re: left foot down, right foot or both?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2022, 01.06 pm
    Aug 31, 2022, 01.06 pm
    Had to have a think about this and to be honest I don't have routine, a bit of everything is the answer !  :001:

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    135

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2022, 03.40 pm
    Sep 02, 2022, 03.40 pm
    *Originally Posted by BillyHey [+]
    Noticed a lot of (maybe older, more experienced riders) recently stopping with right foot down, left still up.

Got me wondering, as I was taught left foot down, right on the rear brake, unless I was going to be stopped longer, but always one brake on at all times.

How does everyone else sit at lights?  Does anyone always do the cop "Hendon Shuffle" when stopping?

I was taught to do the Hendon shuffle, and did it for years, but tend to be a bit more flexible these days and will do whatever suits the situation. For a short stop I will sometimes leave it in 1st gear and hold in the clutch which means the left foot can stay on the floor, and I will then either hold the bike on the rear brake or the front brake, depending on whether I feel I need both feet on the floor.  I recently had a challenging situation where roadworks meant having to stop and start in a queue of traffic on a very steep uphill slope which was also on a sharp bend where it wasn't safe to filter to the front of the queue.  Can't remember exactly what I did for that but I think it involved both feet on the floor as much as possible for stability!

I don't think it really matters what you do so long as you are in full and safe control.

• Offline Wulfkind   au

• 660 Member  ‐    46

Offline Wulfkind

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2022, 10.33 pm
    Sep 03, 2022, 10.33 pm
    I've only been riding for a year, but I was definitely taught that its left foot or both feet down, never the right foot only. In reality, the situation is a bit more complex of course. I'll do the shuffle to knock it into neutral for extended waits and I'll also be right foot down if there is a pronounced camber on the road. The best answer to the question is "Do what feels natural to you"

• Offline H   pt

• 660 Newbie  ‐    7

Offline H

• 660 Newbie
    • Bike: TS660
    Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2022, 10.41 am
    Sep 06, 2022, 10.41 am
    Holding for any period of time, neutral and both probably.  For a shorter period, either really.  As I get older I probably need to stretch/move about a bit more!!

The ‘camber’ issue is a whole different situation, having seen a couple of slow motion disasters over the years  :005:

listing