Author Fairing screen  (Read 3079 times)

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Re: Fairing screen
    Reply #40 on: Aug 09, 2022, 10.38 am
    Aug 09, 2022, 10.38 am
    *Originally Posted by gotagreyone [+]
    I’m 5’11” and my wife is 6’ and we both find the stock screen a good compromise, especially on the low setting. Slightly better protection when up but noisier. A bit draughty for a car I suppose but perfectly fine for a motorcycle.  :038:

Oh dear, you are evidently someone who cannot accept that other's opinions could be equally valid to your own, and your less than subtle digs at people with different opinions and experiences of the screen, trying to imply that they are wimps, not true motorcyclists, and would be happier in a car, are frankly a bit childish. Not cool.

Poeple have different physical attributes, different riding styles and undertake different types of travel on their bikes, so no screen, even with some limited adjustment is going to be perfect for everyone.  It is obviously fine for you and your use case - lucky you. I have a long body and short legs so my head is 2-3 inches higher than you might expect for someone of my 6' 1" height and I always find stock screens do not give adequate protection for the type of riding I do.

In the past I have done long European tours which often involve long distance high speed stretches to get to my touring destination and find that noise and wind pressure from screens that are too short is very fatiguing and even with earplugs potentially damaging.  Following some health issues I am hoping to do similar trips in future so do forgive me if I am offending your sensibilities by seeking to make the Triumph more suitable for my particular requirements by discussing the issues with other like minded riders.

• Offline gotagreyone   au

• 660 Pro  ‐    53

Offline gotagreyone

• 660 Pro
    Reply #41 on: Aug 09, 2022, 12.13 pm
    Aug 09, 2022, 12.13 pm
    No, you’re wrong. I can see that I might not have expressed myself clearly enough, so apologies for that. I fully accept that different people have dIfferent preferences and make no judgements about that, although I’ll always make up my own mind on whether it’s something I’d do to my own bike.
    I’ve always made changes to every bike I’ve owned to suit me. What I haven’t done is look to blame poor engineering on a feature that wasn’t exactly to my liking. I just changed it from something that didn’t suit me to something that did. And I’ve always accepted that any changes I made could impact on the operation of other components so it’s always been a risk I’ve been prepared to take.
    It actually seems you’re the intolerant one, but that’s OK. If you’re making the bike more to your liking that’s great.

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    Reply #42 on: Aug 09, 2022, 12.37 pm
    Aug 09, 2022, 12.37 pm
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure what I am being intolerant about, but will try to ensure I don't give that impression in future, and maybe if you could resist making the "why not put a roof on it", and similar jibes, we will get along fine!  :002:

I have had to fit taller aftermarket screens on almost every previous bike I have owned, apart from a Triumph Trophy, and I have never found that the structure of the bike was not up to supporting them. I don't criticise Triumph for not fitting a bigger screen in the first place, even though the bike is advertised as suitable for long distance touring, as the standard screen will be OK for many people, and in any case we all know that these days styling nearly always takes precedence over practicality.

However I stand by my view that the engineering of the TS660 is not sufficiently robust to properly support this very common upgrade requirement.  I guess the bike is built down to a price but I still find the flimsyness of the whole front section a bit disappointing. Most bikes have some metalwork inside the fairing to provide strong attachment points for the screen and plastic panels, but this bike seems to rely almost entirely on interlocking bits of plastic held together with plastic pins and a few metal screws.  I think the metalwork extending forward between the fork legs may help support the lower half of the fairing which has the headlights, but the separate top half which provides two out of the three screen fixings looks to be unsupported.

• Offline Wulfkind   au

• 660 Pro  ‐    50

Offline Wulfkind

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Reply #43 on: Aug 09, 2022, 01.45 pm
    Aug 09, 2022, 01.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by gotagreyone [+]
    No, you’re wrong. I can see that I might not have expressed myself clearly enough, so apologies for that. I fully accept that different people have dIfferent preferences and make no judgements about that, although I’ll always make up my own mind on whether it’s something I’d do to my own bike.
    I’ve always made changes to every bike I’ve owned to suit me. What I haven’t done is look to blame poor engineering on a feature that wasn’t exactly to my liking. I just changed it from something that didn’t suit me to something that did. And I’ve always accepted that any changes I made could impact on the operation of other components so it’s always been a risk I’ve been prepared to take.
    It actually seems you’re the intolerant one, but that’s OK. If you’re making the bike more to your liking that’s great.

For me, its my first bike with any kind of fairing on it. Previously I've ridden nothing but naked motorcycles. Maybe I'm being a bit finicky about wanting airflow even and not smacking me in the face constantly, but I'm a modder, just like you. I don't think a single one of my bikes has stayed stock for more than a month after I got it.

I think shutting down discussion on design choices by Triumph is not going to help anyone out. There are issues that pop up in the modding process and putting our heads together to come up with solutions is absolutely the best way to go about it. And honestly, if you look back through the thread there has been a couple of things said that might've given Fred the impression that wanting protection from the wind was something that he was somehow wanting incorrectly.

We're all people with a common interest here though, so I'm going to talk about the bike a bit more before I close out this post.

I had a quick compare of the factory shield vs the PowerBronze one and.... I honestly don't think the weight and/or shape of it is whats making the difference. The factory one seems to be a tad more rigid and places a bit more torque between the top and bottom mounts. I think that flexing and vibration is simply coming from things being a bit 'looser'.
    Last Edit: Aug 09, 2022, 01.46 pm by Wulfkind

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    Reply #44 on: Aug 09, 2022, 02.18 pm
    Aug 09, 2022, 02.18 pm
    I agree that the stock screen is a little more rigid, but I think another important factor is that the three screen fixing points are quite low down relative to the height of the screen which means that air pressure on the upper part of the screen has a lot of leverage over the fixings, and this is obviously even worse once you bolt on a taller screen.

I think this combines with the not very rigid bodywork which holds the screen fixings to make it almost inevitable that the screen will wobble a lot. Some of the flexing may be the screen itself in the case of the Powerbronze item, but from my investigations it seems like most of the movement is due to the underlying panels which hold the three fixing points being too flexible and insufficiently supported.  If you just push on the top of the screen you can see the panels moving.

I managed to click off the plastic cover on the frame extension between the fork legs (see pic below) and it is apparent that this is where the metalwork ends, with the lower part of the fairing between the headlamps being bolted to this to provide the only point of support.   I think it might be possible to extend a metal support forwards from this point to come up under the instrument panel and provide support for those parts of the fairing which incorporate the three screen fixings, but need to get the instrument panel off to have a proper look at this.  Does anyone know how it comes off?

Last Edit: Aug 09, 2022, 02.28 pm by fred_jb

• Offline moggi1964   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    35

Offline moggi1964

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Rossendale
    Reply #45 on: Aug 27, 2022, 11.12 am
    Aug 27, 2022, 11.12 am
    I purchased the Powerbronze tall screen a couple of months back but only fitted it last week.

I rode around 800 miles with it on this last week and whilst I am really happy with the screen on the taller setting (no air hitting the top of my helmet) I am disappointed that the screen lowers itself frequently.

I feel like this is the first Powerbronze purchase that I regret, whilst the quality is as good as ever it needed to be road tested before release. That way they would have seen that the mechanism isn't built to support it. Perhaps they did and the few of us who have posed about it are just unlucky, I don't know.

I'll try some of the extra washer options but I get the feeling it may just get wrapped up and put back in the cupboard.

The bike was brilliant by the way, my first longer trip since getting it.  :047:

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    Reply #46 on: Aug 27, 2022, 11.52 am
    Aug 27, 2022, 11.52 am
    One or two rubber washers around the lower screen mount as suggested here by Wulfkind should fix the screen dropping problem. Will probably make screen adjustment a bit stiffer, but is a simple fix.

I also found the tall screen wobbled alarmingly in some situations, but that is not the fault of the screen, but because the panel holding the screen is not sufficiently rigidly attached to the bike.  Unfortunately the fix for that is more difficult.

• Offline moggi1964   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    35

Offline moggi1964

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Rossendale
    Reply #47 on: Aug 27, 2022, 01.15 pm
    Aug 27, 2022, 01.15 pm
    *Originally Posted by fred_jb [+]
    One or two rubber washers around the lower screen mount as suggested here by Wulfkind should fix the screen dropping problem. Will probably make screen adjustment a bit stiffer, but is a simple fix.

I also found the tall screen wobbled alarmingly in some situations, but that is not the fault of the screen, but because the panel holding the screen is not sufficiently rigidly attached to the bike.  Unfortunately the fix for that is more difficult.

:763:

• Offline Wulfkind   au

• 660 Pro  ‐    50

Offline Wulfkind

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Reply #48 on: Aug 27, 2022, 02.51 pm
    Aug 27, 2022, 02.51 pm
    Yep. It’s been working well for me. 2000km since I fitted the rubber washers and it hasn’t moved at all.

Been paying attention to that flexing issue Fred, seems to be more affected by crosswinds than bumps on my bike.

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Pro  ‐    168

Online fred_jb

• 660 Pro
    Reply #49 on: Aug 27, 2022, 03.50 pm
    Aug 27, 2022, 03.50 pm
    *Originally Posted by Wulfkind [+]
    Yep. It’s been working well for me. 2000km since I fitted the rubber washers and it hasn’t moved at all.

Been paying attention to that flexing issue Fred, seems to be more affected by crosswinds than bumps on my bike.

Yes, mine didn't seem too bad on bumps.  I haven't really experienced much in the way of crosswinds, but the worst movement for me was at high speed coming into the turbulent air behind other vehicles.  Not a problem now I have reinforced the mounting of the panel the screen fastens to.

listing