Author Topic: Screen locking mod  (Read 217 times)

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    48
    • Topic Author

Online fred_jb

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Screen locking mod
    on: May 20, 2022, 01.11 pm
    May 20, 2022, 01.11 pm
    I have mentioned in other posts that I have had a problem with my larger PowerBronze screen slipping down, and this was preventing me from fitting my phone onto the screen adjustment handle, which would have been the ideal position.  It seems that the screen adjustment does not have a very strong locking mechanism.  Even though it feels quite resistant to moving when you adjust it, the combination of a bit of extra weight with bigger screen and phone, combined with bouncing about on rough road surfaces seems to be enough to have it slip down while riding. I have found on previous bikes that I don't have much need to adjust screen position, as once I have found the optimum position I rarely change it, so I decided to devise a means of locking the screen in position so that it cannot slip down.

After some thought I decided that if I could fit some type of lock, ideally adjustable, into the slots that the top screen supports slide in then this should work.  What I came up with was using some bolts with square sections at the top of the threaded part, commonly called carriage bolts. I ground the heads of the bolts down on two sides such that they would go into the slot when vertical, but could then be turned through 90 degrees so that they would stay in place.  To prevent any danger of dropping into the space behind the slots I forced an undersized rubber washer down the threads (M5 washer on M6 bolt).  As well as retaining the bolt in position this also grips the sides of the slot when the thumb nut and washer are added and tightened up. Not tested on the road yet, but I'm confident that the screen is going nowhere with two of these in position!

The thumb nuts I've used are small plastic ones.  I also have some metal ones but they are larger diameter and don't fit so neatly so will stay with the plastic ones if they prove to be sufficiently robust.  These locks can be positioned anywhere in the slot so the screen will still be able to be positioned in almost the full range of positions, and in theory these locks could be loosened and the screen position changed while riding, but I don't think I will be doing that!

Installed:

Parts used:

Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01.36 pm by fred_jb
    Fred

• Offline BillyHey   scotland

• 660 Pro  ‐    116

Offline BillyHey

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Linlithgow
    Re: Screen locking mod
    Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 09.28 am
    May 21, 2022, 09.28 am
    Nicely engineered solution there Fred.  I'd only triumph had thought to put an accessory bar on.  But then I suppose they'd have to have put a cockpit usb/12v socket in.

I guess it's the problem with a 'budget' bike is that owners are going to have to come up with solutions like this that the manufacturer didn't want to put in and increase the price.

• Online fred_jb   gb

• 660 Member  ‐    48
    • Topic Author

Online fred_jb

• 660 Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Loughborough
    Re: Screen locking mod
    Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 02.17 pm
    May 21, 2022, 02.17 pm
    *Originally Posted by BillyHey [+]
    Nicely engineered solution there Fred.  I'd only triumph had thought to put an accessory bar on.  But then I suppose they'd have to have put a cockpit usb/12v socket in.

I guess it's the problem with a 'budget' bike is that owners are going to have to come up with solutions like this that the manufacturer didn't want to put in and increase the price.

Glad you liked it, though as you say an accessories bar would have been ideal.  I've been out on the bike today, including on some very bumpy stretches of road, but the screen has stayed put, so I think that's solved the problem, and allows me to mount the phone on the screen handle as below:

Fred

listing