Author Topic: Switching Off Service Light  (Read 1043 times)

• Online markjanemhan   ca

• 660 Pro  ‐    97
    • Topic Author

Online markjanemhan

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
    • City / Town: Vancouver, BC
    Switching Off Service Light
    on: Apr 12, 2022, 03.59 am
    Apr 12, 2022, 03.59 am
    If you maintain your own bike, or have an independent mechanic doing it for you, it will be irritating to have the Service Light wrench symbol lit up on the dash, seemingly with no way of switching it off, unless you take it to a dealership and pay an hour's labour for a 2 minute job.  Fear not, you can do it yourself!  I bought a BAFX OBD2 Reader module from Amazon, about $50 Canadian:

I then purchased and registered the TuneECU App for 25 Euro (all relevant info, and there's A LOT of it: https://tuneecu.boards.net/) I installed it on my old Samsung Tab **NOTE, this ONLY works with Android, and only Bluetooth connectivity**  Tested it tonight, with the BAFX Reader plugged into the bike's OBD2 connector, and it all connected great, with all menus working on the Tune ECU App.  Since I'm only at 850 kms, I don't have the Service Light glaring at me yet, but this will definitely switch it off when I do (probably this weekend.)  I also have a cheapo "no name" OBD2 Reader coming from AliExpress, which I can almost guarantee will NOT work, but if it does, I'll let y'all know!  (It cost $4!)

• Offline Mickleblade   fr

• 660 Member  ‐    28

Offline Mickleblade

• 660 Member
    Re: Switching Off Service Light
    Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2022, 01.34 pm
    Apr 12, 2022, 01.34 pm
    Excellent, keep us all updated on how it goes. Triumph are way out of order for not having a button press combo to turn it off. It's pretty bad that the quickshifter and Bluetooth module need dealer activation too.

• Offline BillyHey   scotland

• 660 Pro  ‐    146

Offline BillyHey

• 660 Pro
    • City / Town: Linlithgow
    Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2022, 01.47 pm
    Apr 18, 2022, 01.47 pm
    I've got an OBD2 reader for the car that works with various apps on my phone so will give it a try.  Not sure about paying that much for ECU tune though. Is there a basic version for free?
    Last Edit: Apr 18, 2022, 01.49 pm by BillyHey

• Offline xsquid   us

• 660 Member  ‐    44

Offline xsquid

• 660 Member
    • City / Town: Milford Ct
    Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2022, 03.30 pm
    Apr 18, 2022, 03.30 pm
    This one also worked. Don't think there is a free version of TuneECU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234328134464

• 660 Pro  ‐    97
    • Topic Author

Online markjanemhan

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2022, 03.59 pm
    Apr 18, 2022, 03.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by BillyHey [+]
    I've got an OBD2 reader for the car that works with various apps on my phone so will give it a try.  Not sure about paying that much for ECU tune though. Is there a basic version for free?
    No free version of TuneECU, but it's only 25 EUR.  Can be registered for up to 5 bikes.  It can also be used for a bunch of other diagnostics and adjustments (TPS Reset is one I noticed) but I haven't delved any further than killing the service light at this point.  For me, it was worth the cost for that alone!

• 660 Pro  ‐    97
    • Topic Author

Online markjanemhan

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2022, 01.32 am
    Apr 26, 2022, 01.32 am
    *Originally Posted by Mickleblade [+]
    Excellent, keep us all updated on how it goes.
    Quick update: the $4 OBD2 reader from AliExpress, which took nearly 3 months to arrive, finally got delivered today.  And guess what .... it's not worth 4 cents, never mind $4!  Doesn't work, as I suspected it probably wouldn't.  I would strongly recommend just going with the BAFX reader, which I'm using with zero issues!

• Offline PaulyC   us

• 660 Member  ‐    20

Offline PaulyC

• 660 Member
    • Bike: Tiger Sport 660 Blu
    • City / Town: Shelby, NC
    Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 10.42 pm
    May 07, 2022, 10.42 pm
    *Originally Posted by markjanemhan [+]
    If you maintain your own bike, or have an independent mechanic doing it for you, it will be irritating to have the Service Light wrench symbol lit up on the dash, seemingly with no way of switching it off, unless you take it to a dealership and pay an hour's labour for a 2 minute job.  Fear not, you can do it yourself!  I bought a BAFX OBD2 Reader module from Amazon, about $50 Canadian:

I then purchased and registered the TuneECU App for 25 Euro (all relevant info, and there's A LOT of it: https://tuneecu.boards.net/) I installed it on my old Samsung Tab **NOTE, this ONLY works with Android, and only Bluetooth connectivity**  Tested it tonight, with the BAFX Reader plugged into the bike's OBD2 connector, and it all connected great, with all menus working on the Tune ECU App.  Since I'm only at 850 kms, I don't have the Service Light glaring at me yet, but this will definitely switch it off when I do (probably this weekend.)  I also have a cheapo "no name" OBD2 Reader coming from AliExpress, which I can almost guarantee will NOT work, but if it does, I'll let y'all know!  (It cost $4!)

do iOS OBD2 units work as well?  I don't see Tune ECU on the App Store... is there an iOS app that works?

• 660 Pro  ‐    97
    • Topic Author

Online markjanemhan

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 02.29 am
    May 08, 2022, 02.29 am
    *Originally Posted by PaulyC [+]
    do iOS OBD2 units work as well?  I don't see Tune ECU on the App Store... is there an iOS app that works?
    TuneECU is only available for Android.  I'm not sure if there are any iOS apps available. This BAFX OBD2 reader is apparently compatible with both Android and Windows, according to the label on the box, but I only have experience of using it with Android.

• Offline JSX   us

• 660 Newbie  ‐    9

Offline JSX

• 660 Newbie
    • City / Town: E Washington State
    Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 04.21 pm
    May 09, 2022, 04.21 pm
    Thanks markjanemhan for the info. I got the BAFX reader and TuneECU and used it yesterday to reset the service light after changing my oil and filter, no trip to the dealer!

• 660 Pro  ‐    97
    • Topic Author

Online markjanemhan

• 660 Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 11.45 pm
    May 09, 2022, 11.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by JSX [+]
    Thanks markjanemhan for the info. I got the BAFX reader and TuneECU and used it yesterday to reset the service light after changing my oil and filter, no trip to the dealer!
    Awesome, glad it worked out for you!  Knowing what dealership shop rates are like, it probably paid for itself in one usage!

listing